Partner - Maksim Smirnov
Maksim Smirnov is a Partner and Head of Taxation practice group of the firm. Maksim Smirnov has advised local and foreign companies on mergers and acquisitions, taxation, antitrust, labor and customs regulation as well as other issues in doing business in the Kyrgyz Republic.
- advised a major Kazakh holding company in connection with the privatization of major energy companies and assets in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- more than once advised well-known international non-commercial organizations operating in the Kyrgyz Republic on labor and tax issues, represented them in employment disputes;
- represented a major international hotel corporation in tax disputes related to incorrect tax assessment and payment and to application of double taxation treaties;
- more than once advised one of the major international audit companies on tax consequences and tax optimization in the Kyrgyz Republic;
- advised a major international tobacco company on antitrust regulation issues;
- more than once participated in performing comprehensive legal audits of major Kyrgyz companies and assets in connection with their acquisition, sale, privatization, or restructuring, and performed legal audits of companies and assets involved in exploration and mining, telecommunications, processing, construction, and insurance business.
Maksim Smirnov is given credit as a tax professional advising corporate clients on tax structuring and controversial tax matters.
Kalikova & Associates Law Firm (since 2007);
Legal Counsel, Shoro CJSC (2004-2007);
Legal Counsel, Unihelp LLC (2006);
Legal Counsel, Altyn Shaty Presidential Child Academy (2006);
Legal Counsel, ProjectStroyService LLC (2005);
Instructor of Civil Law and Procedure, Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University (2004-2005);
Lawyer, SHASS LLC (2002-2004);
Project Coordinator, Young Lawyers of Kyrgyzstan Public Association (2000-2002).
Diploma of Higher Education with Distinction, Specialist in Jurisprudence, Law Faculty, Kyrgyz Russian Slavic University, 2004.
Member of the IBC Committee on Taxes, Customs and Social Fund.